Whither Reunion Solitaire?


When I started writing this book the world and I were much younger. It was so long ago, kiddies, that there was no internet. When we wanted to know something we had to look it up in ancient tomes known as encyclopedias. I heard the term "Reunion Solitaire" somewhere and thought it was just the most beautiful combination of syllables. Who can say why it hit me like that?  Maybe if I knew more about phonaesthetics (the study of beauty and pleasantness associated with the sounds of certain words or parts of words) I could tell you.  I do know that Edgar Allan Poe thought the most beautiful combinations of sounds in English was "cellar door" which does absolutely nothing for my ears, so I think it's safe to say phonaesthetics is a very subjective science.
Anyway by the time I got serious about finishing this book, I learned from the internet that most scientists believe there was never any such thing as a Reunion Solitaire. And that presented a problem. I thought about changing the title but it's hard to give up on something you find so euphonious. "Dodo" definitely doesn't work. I even thought about keeping the title and just never mentioning anything about Reunion solitaires, just let the readers wonder what the title meant. In the end I decided that since so little is known about the dodo and its cousins I could use that to my advantage. But even now I'm not sure if Lazarus is a dodo or a Reunion solitaire.
(Can you tell how much I like that term by how many times I've used it in this post?)

Comments

Popular Posts